Friday, April 23, 2010

Sisterly Love

So the main reason I chose to write about this topic is because of my sister. She was born 7 weeks premature and is doing well now. The one thing that I tend to worry about as I prepare to move away to college is the fact that she forgets EVERYTHING. She'll get mad at me for saying it, but she tends to lose her keys at least once a week, making me think I'm going to have to have 4 extras made (one to hide under each car tire of course) before I leave for West Lafayette. My mom and I have both wondered whether or not her premature birth has played a part in her memory "problems" shall we call them.

We tried out a memory test -special thanks to Sam Daily :)
We wrote down a list of words that rhymed with bat (cat, rat, sat, Matt...) 9 total. We gave her 1 minute to memorize their position on the counter, in rows and columns of 3s. After her minute was up we gave her 5 minutes to go back to work and then called her back over. She then had to recall where each word was on the counter. First time she got a 6/9, aka a 67%. The second time we gave her a minute but made her wait 10 minutes to tell their position, and shockingly enough she scored a 7/9, only one card better. Hopefully we'll have some more fun-filled experiments later on :)

6 comments:

  1. I must say when I heard of this I felt like you were describing me and my memory problems! I seem to misplace everything and always get sidetracked by some stupid reason that seems to consume my mind where I cannot multi-task. Anyway I thought it was funny how your sister and I are kindred spirits in our forgetfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw i just remembered something from last year in world lit just now! so hah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you gave me permission johnna so here it is :) im surprised you can remember as far back as one year. that's quite an accomplishment for you isn't it hahaha. Anna you crack me up! Johnna has that little multi-tasking thing too... it was scary when i first rode in a car with her and she tried to roll down a window and drive all at once... haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahah that experiment was very fun although I don't think Andrea was fond of us using all of her post-it notes.

    ReplyDelete