What is the number 1 killer of teens? Yep, accidents. Car accidents specifically. According to car-accidents.com, car accidents kill 36% of people between the ages of 16 to 20. What about those who don't die in car accidents though? What kind of injuries do they sustain?
"Concussion related brain damage... can also [cause]... difficulty with both short and long term memory functions" according to an article from crash-worthiness.com
You can see from the diagram which area houses the memory portion of the brain. If the brain is shaken up just enough in the accident, it could seriously impair one's ability to remember much information. This we all know from personal or other experiences. Short-term memory loss is much more common in these cases. Victims often forget their name, location, or the time and place and often mistake common, everyday things for something out of the ordinary. Example: I have a friend who was knocked unconscious during a football practice four years ago. His teammate tried to help him regain consciousness by pouring a bottle of water on his head. Although my friend woke up and only sustained minor injuries, he immediately began screaming "I'M DROWNING! I'M DROWNING!" at this time, thinking that the 16.9 fl.oz. bottle of water was about ready to kill him. I also have another friend who, after experiencing head trauma, was admitted to the hospital and believed that she was not in the hospital but in the wonderful land of the Wizard of Oz. So in both of these cases, head trauma = memory loss.
No comments:
Post a Comment